- Location : Khoms is situated on the coast of Libya, 250km from the Tunisian border.
- General overview : homs is now considered as a direct delivery port and is available for the handling of cars, containers and other cargoes which need not be stored in closed
- Load Line Zone : Summer
- Max size : Max 14,500dwt.
PRE ARRIVAL INFORMATION
- ETA's : ETA is to be sent on departure from previous port and also 24 hours prior to arrival. The port can accept diverted vessels with an hours notice.
- Radio : VHF: Communication with Port Authority on VHF ch 16 and with the pilot station on VHF ch 8, 10 and 12.
- Health regulations : The vessel should have a clean Bill of Health or equivalent document from the last port of call. The vessel's Master and all crew should possess International Health certificates showing a valid smallpox vaccination certificate.
- Customs and immigration : Libyan customs and immigration officials will board the vessel as soon as possible, after arrival, to give inward clearance and pratique services. Libyan Government Regulations are strictly enforced. Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, matches, spirits, wines, beers, perfume, arms, ammunition, saccharin and possibly other items have to be locked up under Customs seal, from time of vessels arrival until time of leaving territorial waters.
Each person is allowed 25 cigarettes per day of stay, or 25gm of tobacco or cigars in lieu thereof.
Customs will require the following
|Crew Personal Effects Declaration (including cigarettes, etc)
Crew Lists and Crew Personal Effects Declaration must be on the approved Libyan Government documents. Vessels are advised on their initial visit to the terminal to obtain sufficient forms for future visits.
The following are also required
|Cargo Manifests for discharge
|Cargo Manifest for transit cargo with a summary
Clearance from the last port of call will be required by the Government Authorities. According to the Libyan "Boycott of Israel" Law, it is considered to be a violation for any vessel calling at Libyan terminals or ports to have on board any item whatsoever of Israeli and South African origin regardless of the country from which it wasactually obtained. This law is strictly enforced and the min penalties will probably include a fine and confiscation of all such items.
- Flags : During loading or unloading the international code flag "B" shall be displayed in accordance with the International Code Signal agreement.
- Notices of readiness : NOR is tendered once berthed alongside.
- General notices & regulations : All related Libyan regulations must be met for the port of Khoms. For more detailed information ship's owners may contact any Libyan marine agent
Port limits: The port water area is limited by the following co-ordinates:
- Lat 32°41'N, Long 014°25'E
- Lat 32°39'N, Long 014°13'E
- Lat 32°39'N, Long 014°18'E
- Lat 32°41'N, Long 014°18'E
Sea buoys, fairways and channels: The least depth is 13m in the channel.
- Pilot : Compulsory.
- Anchorages : Limited by the following:
- Lat 32°41'N and Lat 32°42'N
- Long 014°17'E and Long 014°18'E
Anchorage is obtainable in a depth of 10m, rock, with Ra's al Wazif light bearing 272° at a distance of 880m.
The anchorage area is a part of the water port area. All vessels must anchor as instructed by the Port Authority and must not shift berth except on the instruction of the Port Authority.
- Dock density : 1025.
- Weather : Prevailing
- Wind : NW'ly in winter and E'ly-S'ly in summer.
Principal navigation aids: As follows
- A new lighthouse F1(3).18s.75m.24M at approx Lat 32°41'N and Long 014°13'E. The old lighthouse F1.3s.26m.12M.
- An approaching racon (3cm and 10cm) F1(4)RW.15s, Lat 39°41'N, Long 014°18'E). Charts: BA 3353. Admiralty Pilot NP49.
- Traffic schemes : There are no traffic schemes adopted as the port channel is controlled by the port radio.
- Restrictions : Port operations are restricted to daylight hours.
- Tugs : Available.
- Coast guard : The port waters are covered by the Libyan Coast Guard.
BERTHS AND CARGO
|14 and 15
|16 and 17
- Port Authority : Homs Port Authority
- Port Office : Shat Street
- Homs : Libya
- Tel : +218 31 21809
- Telx : 30423 ARC LY
- Contact : Capt A Nassef, Port